Sunday 8 January 2012

Asam Pedas Melaka

My Thought
My hubby really adores the asam pedas from Melaka and, being a possessive wife, I envy those who can cook this particular dish. (Must do something so that my hubby would boast to everyone about my Asam Pedas Melaka)
I found out that the dish is not even called Asam Pedas - unlike the Johorean. Though the texture is about the same, there is a distinctive different that could make one hook to it.
Betty Yew has the recipe in her Rasa Malaysia. (page 26) Mine, as usual, I modified a bit.

My first Asam Pedas Melaka
The Recipe
3 big slices of fish (Ask for fish with tender and fine texture. You may want to buy Pomfret or even Garoupa. However, there are many other kinds. Don't forget to wash the fish using tamarind pulp.)
Cooking oil (I like to use Cap Buruh. Pour in until it nearly cover the base of the pot.)
Chilli Boh (Onions - a lot, Garlic - 1/8 of the onions, fresh tumeric - about the same amount as the garlic, and dried chillies - should be able to cover the onions. Soak the with hot water and then blend them finely. Put in about four scoop of a big wooden ladle into the hot cooking oil. )
Dried shrimp paste (The Malays call this Belacan. Sprinkle about slightly more than a teaspoon. Once you see the mixture starts to release oil, only then you add in the next ingredient.)
Aniseed / Jintan Manis, Coriander,  Black Pepper  (for each item, you only need one teaspoon. Grind them. Then pour them into the pot.)
Tamarind Pulp (Squeeze the juice out of about two handful. You need about three mugs of water. Be careful with the amount of water. We do not want watery gravy.)
Kerisik (Don't know what this is in English. You make this out of roasted grated coconut. In Malaysia, you can always find the ready-made one. Put in about two teaspoon.)
Salt and Sugar (The amount I would say according to your taste bud or even health.)
Halba (I am not sure what this is called in English. Malays usually use this when they cook Nasi Lemak. Put in about two or three pinches of it.)
I prefer using wooden ladle. 
Leave the dish to boil for a few minutes or until the fish is cooked.













The Outcome
My hubby loved it. I was very happy seeing him dishing out the gravy time and again. My second son loved it too. Anyway, be a bit cautious if you do not like very spicy dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment