Monday 21 October 2013

Soup: Sup Tulang Merah

POINT TO PONDER

Do people change their ideology, principle in life? Based on my observation, some people do change. However, there are a few who hold strongly to whatever they believe in. Me? I would say that I am the swaying kind - especially facing with those sweet talkers or enthusiasts who are able to express themselves eloquently, convincingly. It will be only after a while I will realize my mistake - realize what it should be truthfully. (Anyway, it is not easy to determine what is right and what is wrong. It is a real scary world to live in.)

Some people are so desperate. They change their ideology so that they will get what they want. The question is, by getting what you want, will you be happy for the rest of your life? Perhaps, you will but the after-life will be questionable.

I still remember when I was studying in Plymouth. The scholarship that I received was not enough. Life, basically, was expensive. If I was not careful, I would not have anything to eat before the end of the month. A friend of mine who loved to buy clothes and went to 'places' would usually eat fried batter towards the end of the month as she did have not enough money for rice or other food stuff.

Living with a tight financial situation was not grand at all. So, at one point, I decided to find a part-time job illegally. (We were not supposed to work - full or part time. That was the condition when we signed the agreement.) The first part time job was with an Indian Restaurant. I was a waitress. To be honest, I found it very humiliating. I felt like a whore - parading in front of the customers with my 'kebaya'. I was asked to put on our traditional female clothing which is usually tight fitting. It was a good thing that the job did not last. Maybe, it was God way of protecting me.

My second and last part-time job was with a Chinese Restaurant. Initially, I applied as a waitress but a waitress in a Chinese Restaurant should not cover their hair - no head gear. So, the owner asked me to take it off. As I wanted the job so much, I told the interviewer that I would take off my headgear or we call it 'tudung'.

Fortunately, when I was in my room, I came to my senses. I did not feel that it was the right thing to do. The more I thought about it, the more vulgar it became. How dare was the guy to ask me to take off my 'tudung'? The humiliation became an anger. I went back to the place and told him that I had a change mind but, to my surprise, he offered me another position. I was given the responsibility of preparing the dessert in the kitchen. Excellent!

We, human, are lucky creatures as we are made with wonderful brain. We should use it  to think things carefully. By standing firm to our ideology or even principle in life, we will gain respect. When people say things to you, think carefully. Is it right or wrong? We should always use our listening skills carefully. Some people are very good with words but people with bad intentions will tend to use words that reflect their characteristics. So, we should always LISTEN with our brain being fully function.

INGREDIENTS

STAGE ONE

1 kg mutton (cut into bite sized)
2 lemon grass (bruised)
a thumb-sized ginger (my thumb is rather small so it has to be double my size. Bruised)
2 cloves of garlic (bruised)

1. Take a 5-litre pot. Fill half of it with water.
2. Put in everything into the pot.
3. Let it boil for 30 minutes.
4. Then, scoop out the mutton and throw away the water.

STAGE TWO

1. 1/2 teaspoon of pelaga and cengkih.
2. 1 inch of cinnamon
3. 1 teaspoon of bunga lawang.
4. 1 1/2 ladle of chilli boh
5. 2 ladles of tomato sauce
6. 1 1/2 teaspoon of tomato paste
7. 3 tomatoes (slice like an orange)
8. 2 carrots (cut like small logs)
9. 2 potatoes (cut into six or four - depending on the size)
10. 1 celery (slice not so thinly)
11. oil
12. salt and white pepper / black pepper
13. fried shallots and daun sup (for garnishing)
14. 2 1/2 litre of water

1. Heat up the pot.
2. Put in the oil. Then, put in pelaga, cengkih, cinnamon and bunga lawang. Fry them for a few seconds.
3. Put in the chilli boh. Once it starts to curdle, add in the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Let them simmer for a while.
4. Pour in the water.
5. Add in the mutton. Let it boil for about 2-3 hours.
6. Towards the last 30 minutes, add in the tomatoes, carrots, potatoes and celery.
7. Add in the salt and pepper.

EAT WITH BREAD.

MY THOUGHTS

As the whole family does not have rice for dinner, this is an ideal meal - especially for me as it is tomato sour and spicy.


No comments:

Post a Comment